Summit College’s Welding program will help you build a career that serves multiple industries. This certification will not only teach you what you need to know to become a welder, it will also demonstrate to employers that you are committed to your career and to becoming the best in your vocational field. The Summit College experience is designed to deliver a caring community and an abundance of personalized support from accessible instructors.
In order to provide excellent service, a welder needs to be informed and on top of the latest technologies and equipment that are being used. For that reason, it’s important to have hands-on experience handling that equipment as part of your training. The Summit College Welding program provides students with hands-on welding training in our welding facilities.
At Summit College, our goal is to prepare students for entry-level opportunities in the field of welding through extensive introduction to welding practices and a well-rounded education.
Benefits of Summit College
At Summit College we understand that starting a new career is making a dream come true. And getting the preparation you need to launch your career is taking one big step toward your dream. With the right skills and a certification provided by a recognized institution, your opportunities will bloom and the career you imagined can soon become a reality.
At Summit College, we train students to become complete professionals—equipped not only with practical hard skills but also with the ability to communicate properly with clients, explaining issues and deadlines. Much of your instruction will be spent in a welding facility, dealing with real-life situations.
Our welding area has different equipment you will use to learn skills and complete projects on a daily basis. At our welding facility, you can train with flux-cored arc welding (FCAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), oxy-fuel cutting and welding tables with individual torches, designed to accommodate multiple students.
As a Summit College student you will also be able to enjoy the Learning Academy, the Library and our modern classrooms. The Learning Academy, Library and Computer Lab offer crucial support to the learning process. The Learning Academy is open to students six days a week and offers computers, a free printer and books.
Other perks of being a Summit College student include:
- Personal attention from outstanding, accomplished faculty
- A wealth of academic support and free tutoring services
- Career service support, including resume assistance, mock interviews and workshops
- Modern facilities and resources
- Schedule options that include day, evening and weekend courses (depending on the program you choose)
Our career service is also a topic worth mentioning. Once you are enrolled in Summit College’s Welding program, you will have the assistance of our Career Services team. We offer help with resume preparation, interviewing techniques and establishing sites for externships when they are required for the completion of your studies.
One other strength of Summit College’s Trade and Technical programs is our facilities, designed to provide comprehensive hands-on training for students. If you have the opportunity, schedule a visit to one of our campuses and have a closer look at all the advantages an education at Summit College can offer you.
The purpose of Summit’s Welding program is to prepare students for the many opportunities available in the field of welding. Our curriculum and training are modeled after the skill sets that employers want in their new hires nowadays.
According to O*NET Online, job openings for welders, cutters, solderers and brazers in the United States are projected to total 128,500 between 2014 and 2024.*
Summit College’s Welding program is designed to prepare students for work in multiple settings, such as:
- Construction companies
- Factory production
- Automotive industries
- Ironworks applications
- Trucking and railroad industries
- Facility maintenance and repair
Our Welding program is meant for motivated individuals who want to embark on a long-term career in welding. It offers a comprehensive path—including both basic and advanced preparation through in-depth classroom instruction and an abundance of hands-on training using the same types of equipment used by professionals.
Tasks* you will perform as a welding technician include:
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Examine workpieces for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
The Welding program begins with the basics, offering students extensive, hands-on training tailored to introduce them to the fundamental skills welders need to succeed in the field.
The advanced portion of the program positions students to build on that foundational knowledge and develop the more intricate skills that employers are looking for. Above all, our Welding program emphasizes safety and competence.
Students cover these areas:
- Welding protocols
- Welding procedures
- Welding concepts
- Shielded metal arc welding—pre-pipe, structural and pipe
- Gas tungsten arc welding—pipe and tubing
- Blueprint reading—basic and advanced
- Gas metal arc welding—basic and advanced
- Oxyacetylene welding and cutting
- Flux cored arc welding
- Symbols for welding
The Welding program curriculum includes:
- Gas Metal Arc Welding
- Oxyacetylene, Plasma, Cutting and Carbon Arc
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
- Flux Cored Arc Welding and Blueprint Reading
- SMAW Adv. Structural/Pre-pipe
- SMAW Pipe Fitting and Layout
- Fabrication and Repair
- SMAW Uphill Pipe
- Career Development
Given the nature of the Trade and Technical field, a vast part of your instruction will require hands-on education at Summit College’s own on-site welding facility. You will be able to prepare for real-life situations in a controlled and supervised environment.