Physical Therapy Aide
Physical Therapy Aide Objectives:
The field of health care is about improving the lives of others. As a Physical Therapy Aide, you’ll be on the front line of easing the pain of the patients you help treat and empowering them to lead more comfortable lives, while embarking on a bright new career in a high-growth field.
The Physical Therapy Aide program at Summit College is designed to deliver the personalized instruction and hands-on training it takes to hit the ground running. You will focus on all aspects of what it takes to assist physical therapists—from understanding medical terminology to providing therapeutic treatments—through a blend of theoretical knowledge and active learning using the most modern facilities, equipment, and resources.
What Will I Learn?
As a student in Summit’s Physical Therapy Aide program you’ll be exposed to the broad range of topic areas that form the foundation of knowledge it takes to succeed. Our curriculum has been designed to complement the abundant opportunities for hands-on learning the program features, and students benefit from a faculty of instructors who bring real-world experience into the classroom. You’ll cover the following areas:
- Medical terminology
- Functions of the body
- Patient treatments
- Mobility and immobility
- Patient preparation
- Therapeutic exercises
- Patient service and communication
A hallmark of the Physical Therapy Aide program is the abundance of hands-on, active learning our students experience. From understanding how to communicate professionally in a physical therapy setting, to learning how to prepare patients, to providing therapeutic treatment, students develop their skills using the same kind of equipment, facilities, and resources they’ll find in the professional world. Areas your hands-on training will cover include:
- Devices used for ambulation
- Forms of exercise
- Patient transferring procedures
- Therapeutic exercises for lower back pain
- Assisting with the administration of heat modalities
- Disorders of the eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Range of motion exercises for multiple joints
Where Can I Work?
The goal of the Physical Therapy Aide program is to prepare students to not just embark on new careers in the health care arena, but to thrive in this field that promises exceptional opportunities for growth. According to O*Net, employment of physical therapist Aides in California is projected to grow by 34 percent between 2012 and 2022. As a graduate of this program, you’ll prepared to work in a number of settings, some of which include:
- Nursing homes
- Outpatient clinics
- Fitness centers
- Sports training facilities
- Home health
What Will I Do?
Summit College offers a personalized path to success to students in the Physical Therapy Aide program. Our experienced and accomplished instructors, carefully designed curriculum, abundance of hands-on training, and wealth of individual support results in an empowering learning environment.
- Personal attention from outstanding, accomplished faculty
- A wealth of academic support, free tutoring services, and a Learning Academy open six days a week offering a modern computer lab
- A rich abundance of career service support, including resume assistance, mock interviews and workshops, and externships
- Excellent, modern facilities and resources
- Schedule options that include day, evening, and weekend courses