Dental Assistant Objectives:
Our Dental Assistant program will provide the knowledge and skills to work alongside dentists. Students will learn to prepare patients for dental examinations, take x-rays, sterilize and set up dental trays and equipment, assist the dentist in chair side procedures, carry out patient education in oral health, and dental office administrative responsibilities and management.
What Will I Learn?
Our Dental Assistant program introduces you to a range of subjects that will help you provide exceptional dental assistance and care:
- Oral Health and Nutrition
- Oral Cavity Anatomy
- Charting Oral Conditions
- Psychology and Communication
- Patient Anxiety Relief
- Dental Terminology
- Preparation for Patient Care
- Hazard Management
- Chairside Assisting
- Dental Radiology
- Dental Instrument Use
- Infection Control
- Laboratory Materials and Techniques
- Coronal Polishing
- Dental Office Management
- Career Development
These are just a few of the many skills and course topics you will learn. You will also learn how to apply critical thinking skills to problem solve once you begin dental assisting.
Where Can I Work?
Our Dental Assistant program trains you for both dental office management and back office clinical care, including chair side assistance. You will be ready to work in the following clinical environments:
- Dental Facilities
- Endodontic Offices
- Orthodontics’ Offices
- Hospital Dental Clinics
- Public Health
- Dental Supply Manufacturers
What Will I Do?
Dental assistants play a major role in providing good dental care and have responsibilities in the front office, laboratory and treatment area.
Some of your duties may include:
- Sterilizing and disinfecting instruments and equipment
- Preparing and setting instruments and materials for treatment
- Updating patient dental records
- Appointment scheduling
- Marketing and patient communications
- Easing and preparing patients for dental care
- Assisting dentists during treatment
- Instructing patients on oral healthcare
- Processing dental x-rays
- Preparing materials for impressions and restorations
- Making casts of teeth and mouth for impressions
Gainful Employment Disclosure (Colton)